ONLINE/PHONE PSYCHOTHERAPY SESSIONS
During this period of time of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) I have expanded my psychotherapy practice to include online and phone therapy. This includes both individual therapy and couples therapy.
This is a great opportunity for you to be able to do the work of psychotherapy at a safe distance. Online/phone therapy does feel different from face to face therapy. For some these differences can be positive, feeling more comfortable in your home surroundings, not having to commute to get to the session and feeling freer to share feelings online rather than face to face. For others the differences are not so positive, these can arise if you don’t feel so comfortable in using technology or if you are in a busy household with limited privacy.
I would suggest if you are considering psychotherapy and are unsure if working online or by phone is a good option for you give me a call and talk through your concerns. If you decide to go ahead we will schedule an appointment.
My current preferred online service is Zoom. This is an encrypted service and is free for you to access and download.
A video on how to use Zoom is here :
If we are using zoom I will send you an email before the session which contains a meeting number. Please make sure I have the correct email before the session. When you open Zoom, it will ask you to enter the meeting number so that you can join me.
You will need to download the Zoom App if you are using a smart phone or tablet.
If we have any technical difficulties where we cannot connect or the audio or video is not working I will phone you on your mobile phone.
Preparing for Online Therapy
In order to get the most out of online therapy these are things to take into consideration:
- You should do all that you can to find a private and undisturbed place for our sessions. If you feel confident that you cannot be overheard, you will be able to engage in the session more fully. You may need to be creative about finding confidential space, perhaps even sitting outside in the car, if you have one. (You will also need to ensure that any vulnerable members of your household have adequate care and supervision for this time.)
- In the event that we lose our connection due to technological difficulties, I will always attempt to reestablish the connection. If this is not possible, I will contact you by an alternative method (eg email or phone) to either continue the session or reschedule.
- We will both agree not to make any kind of recording of sessions conducted remotely.
- Turn off other devices (such as phones, TV) during our session to minimize distractions.
- Set up a space where you can sit comfortably for the duration of the session, preferably with your device supported hands-free and set up so that you remain clearly visible with adequate lighting and without needing to make adjustments as we talk. Your computer or mobile is positioned at a sensible height so that I can clearly see your face and that the camera is at eye level.
- Ensure that you will not be disturbed for the duration of the session and that the door to the room you are sitting in is closed.
- If possible use headphones for the session as it is easier for us both to hear each other.
- Set up your mobile or desktop with Zoom before the session commences. This includes having your microphone and video turned on.
- Do not drink alcohol or take drugs before any session.
- It is helpful if you refrain from eating or drinking (other than water) during the sessions and commit to the agreed timings and session duration.
- Please put all other activities aside so that you can focus on the session.
- Any contact by email or telephone in between sessions will be limited to practical arrangements and information only. Sensitive and personal material should be kept for the session itself. I will not accept from you invitations or any other form of contact via social media.
The agreement with regards to confidentiality remains unchanged on the online sessions. I will go through these with you in details in the first session.
I will require 24 hours notice if you wish to cancel or postpone an agreed session otherwise I will have to charge the full cost of the session.
Individual Sessions: €60
Couples Sessions: €80
Payment can be made directly by bank transfer to the following account on the day of the session or through Revolut transfer.